After The Funeral
- Prepare or provide dinner on a day that is mutually acceptable.
- Do Step 1. every week for two to three months.
- Offer to help with the garden such as watering, mowing or pruning.
- Feed and exercise the pets, if any.
- Write notes offering encouragement and support.
- Offer to drive or accompany him/her to the cemetery regularly.
- Offer to house-sit so he/she can get away or visit family out of town.
- Make a weekly run to the supermarket, laundry, or cleaners.
- Help with the Thank You notes and/or other correspondence.
- Anticipate difficult periods such as anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, and the day of death.
- Always mention the deceased by name and encourage reminiscing.
Above all, just listening and your concern and presence will help.